Monday 19 January 2009

34. The future is firmer

I woke early and put on my gorgeous new red cord coat (I love it!!) and teal scarf..all positive and vibrant. I had clothes on too by the way - in case you were wondering for a moment there. I arrived at the doctors surgery at 8.30am ready for my 8.40am appointment..which was actually meant to be 8.20am!! WHAT?! Bugger..I even wrote it on my calendar straight after booking it - 8.40am. I even checked this when I came home. Anway..the receptionist said not to worry because the lady behind me had now gone in early so it was fine..but I did worry, I must have screwed up the whole day for my poor doctor. Arse.

I apologised to him profusely - Christmas and New Year had gone between booking and arriving and I was all over the shop during that time. It helps that he is an young, attractive man because otherwise I would be a bit fed up with myself for being late when I thought I was early. Instead I enjoyed the view and chatted openly about what was coming up and my dismay at finding out that my mother has slipped through the BRCA+ care net. She is only getting screened every 3 years and hasn't talked to anyone since finding out about her own DNA results. They have just left her behind. I am livid and I tell Dr Harris about this. He gave me copies of my letters to send to her doctor and get her back into some good care routine. I am gobsmacked that mum is left to fight her way back into the system!

When I've expressed my concerns about that, we talk about the letter he'd received from my breast surgeon, Mr Drabble about my 're-referral'. This means that I can now actually book the pencilled in date planned for 30th March 2009 for my surgery which was previously outside of the 13 week deadline the government have set for the NHS. C R A Z Y ! ! !

I guess most people just get sick and get dealt with. For people like me, who have a genetic condition and need to plan to have surgery..everything is delayed and nothing is solid or in place until 13 weeks before. Basically, I stressed how much I hate hospitals to my surgeon, told him I would rather have it done when I know my husband will be around to look after me while I convalesce. With his being a teacher, he has little time off and can only get 3 days to look after me...when I need at least 2-3 weeks immediately after. So we are 'planning' to have my surgery done around easter school holidays when Chris will be home. This meant that in October, March was too far away and was outside of the 13 week deadline!! So..(take a deep breath)...they write a letter to my doctor telling him to write to me to get me to book an appointment with them so that I can go back to Dr Drabble and book my surgery date in....!!! How stupid is that?

Dr Harris shared my opinion..but all said and done, he was onboard with the plan which is a result quite frankly. The NHS normally deal with people who are sick..not deal with people who will probably get sick eventually and need major surgery to prevent them doing so. Its strange, but because I am not sick, I feel like I am inconveniencing everyone around me and its planning it to fit in with them and not just for me. If I was poorly with cancer, everyone would just reach out and deal with it but this is planned surgery - not the norm. The NHS doesn't allow for people like me in their rules and regulations but the wonderful staff are bending them to accommodate me. That is lovely.

Oh...AND we talked about fertility and the recent news report. He looked a little edgy about it, telling me it was fairly new but that it was definately something to look into. He had referred me to Dr Attacheny (or something like that) who is the guy I spoke to over Christmas. Lovely on the phone and I am quite excited about meeting him in the flesh. I liked Dr Frappel but he was clinical (lol) and his secretary kinda sucked at her job!!

Ok..epic writeup over. Back with some more soon..keep you posted x

0 comments:

Tags